Friday, July 9, 2010

When it comes to walking down the aisle

Don't you find it astonishing that providers of plus-size clothing don't always live up to that claim?

I recently contacted a Bridal store (no, I'm not getting married! ha), but I wanted to see for myself what was being offered to young women who were planning to walk down the aisle. Their advertisements (in large print) throughout local and national newspapers and magazines said, "Are you a plus-size planning to get married?" Further in the ads I read that the collection designed by an award winning UK designer, goes from sizes 18-30.

But when I actually got to the point of asking to "see" some of the bridal gowns, I was given a beautifully presented colour brochure. Sorry, I can't imagine what a garment will look like on a curvaceous young girl/woman or even an older woman. What I want to see are some actual examples of bridal wear.

How frustrating and disappointing for the young women who eagerly walk through the doors of this boutique store in the hope they'll be able to touch and see some lovely bridal gowns, only to be given a brochure.

Is this good enough?

1 comment:

  1. Is this good enough? Well not really. This is what happens everwhere. However and this is said with some reservations I can understand to a degree because how often would they actually get to dress someone that is a size 30?
    Although in saying that, if I was to own a dress shop for the plus sizes I would without a doubt cater for the fuller figure and really advertise my business as catering for this demographic. I would even make it a one stop shop for their weddings supplies.
    This way it would make it more profitable to have such stock on hand. Maybe I am talking a nonsense, never owned a shop.

    ReplyDelete